Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Nature Sprite Doll

This is a fun little craft I made up this morning. I love matryoshka (Russian nesting dolls), daruma (Japanese egg shaped dolls), and kokeshi (Japanese hot spring souvenir dolls). This craft combines the styles of them all.
I had a few small wooden robin's eggs running around my craft drawer. It made a nice base.
First sand the top down a little to make it more like a daruma doll. Then (optionally) use a dremel tool to carve a tiny bit of definition for the face.
Finally add paint. I used a blade of grass for a paint brush and made the face to look a bit like a matryoshka. Blades of grass are a bit unwieldy, but fun for painting.  I was not patient though and put a second coat of gloss on before the first one was completely dry. It gives it a bit of a trendy crackled look. Unfortunately I don't care for that look. Oh well. Other than that I'm pleased with how it turned out. Next year she will go into a fairy garden.... Or maybe I'll put a loop in the top to make her into a charm... She looks like a nature spirit peeking out of the grass to me. What do you think? This would be such a fun necklace to make for a little girl. 
Thanks for visiting. Shine on!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks! I feel the crafty urge to make more. I have more eggs on hand. But what to do with them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, this is simply precious! What a steady painting hand you must have to paint something so small!

    Wishing you a lovely week.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete