Monday, September 15, 2014

Autumn Garland

I wanted to make a unique fall garland. If you've ever made a 3D start/snowflake before this will look familiar. I used the same segments to make my garland. If you've never made one/seen one before I will be making them later this year but here is how to make the segments...
First, start with a square of paper. My squares are approx 2"X2". I wanted to use up left over scrap papers for this project. I used cheap construction paper, colored printer paper, and some card-stock. They all worked well.
Next fold the paper into a triangle with the fold edge on the bottom. Cut three lines as shown up both sides.
It should look like this when you unfold it.

Use a pencil or a chopstick to roll the two inner most flaps inwards and glue them together. I used hot glue. Then flip it over.

It should look like this.
Take the next section, fold together and glue.. Then flip to the other side and repeat. Do this for all sections till..
It looks like this.
Then glue the sections together end to end as shown.
And that's all there is to it. Super simple, but looks like it took forever. I made this garland during one nap time. Have a beautiful Autumn and Shine On!

6 comments:

  1. I love it! And I love your fireplace mantel. It looks just wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim, we've been making a Tiptoes Lightly theme all year on the mantel since we had to put the nature table away for a little while. Next year we will try again on a little shelf. Take care.

      Delete
  2. You used HOT glue for this? I'd love to know your secret for not burning your fingers... I love hot glue, but with paper or felt-sheet I always end up with crisped digits.

    And I LOVE the mantel! Especially all the sweet mice! Love this new take on the snowflake garland, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the mice and figures are from The tales of Tiptoes Lightly. As for the hot glue... I'm very very careful.. And sometimes still singe my fingers.

      Delete
  3. This is so pretty and delicate - I love it!

    Thanks so much for sharing.
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. We wanted something different this year. :)

      Delete