Sunday, July 19, 2015

Mother's Blessing

Ahhh, I'm feeling so blessed today. Yesterday was my Mother's Blessing and I must apologize in advance for all the photos. I had a hard time weeding them down. A Mother's Blessing is a baby shower alternative based off of a Navajo tradition in a nut shell.. With each new child the level of commitment and love changes, grows, and mothers are born anew. I chose a Mother's Blessing instead of a shower because this is my second child, we really don't need baby items right now, but what I DO need most right now is support.
The invitations were simple yet elegant. My sister patiently cut each one for me. Inside was the standard invitation information, a short message about Mother's Blessings and a request to embellish a small piece of fabric that was provided and to also bring a small bead in lieu of baby gifts. More on those items later. 
The weather held! It was a tad hot and humid, but we were able to hold the Blessing out in the garden. I had my heart set on this and am so happy we were able to make it happen. Thank you everyone for sending  prayers and happy vibes our way. 
The trees were hung with white and yellow paper lanterns and all the decorations were in beautiful yellows and bumblebee type colors. My sister made a bazillion large paper flowers to hang from the tent.
The treats were oh so yummy with a strong lemony ambiance. Anyone who knows me knows that if there is tea at my house, there are yummy treats present. Tiny bumblebees made out of chocolate covered cherries were used as garnish on top of the lemon bars and lemon cupcakes.
And there was tea.. Four different types of tea, and a gallon and a half of lemonade infused with fresh lemon and mint leaves from the garden. Because of the heat we skipped  hot tea and opted for iced. It was served in jelly jars with yellow paper straws. 
To help fight the heat, everyone was given a cool mint Epson salt foot bath with rose petals (thanks to my brother in law who kindly poured them all). There were pairs of new flip flops  for everyone and a waiting towel at every seat. That way if someone wanted to go get more to nibble or sip they didn't have to put their shoes back on wet feet or walk across the lawn barefoot.
The fabric squares that were in the invitations (see, I told you I would get back to them), were strung up as prayer flags so the wind could catch the love and good wishes in each flag and send it out into the universe. Instead of letting them unravel in the wind however, I intend on preserving them in Badger's baby book.
A table was set up to make more flags, or help embellish a "bed rest" tray for now, when I go into the hospital, and in case I have to remain on bed rest again after the baby is born like I did with Panda. I intend to save the tray for my children to use when they are feeling under the weather in the future.
The beads they brought are to represent the women who came. My beloved inner circle of friends and family. I made a braided bracelet that they will be sewn on to and when I go into labor I will carry this with me. I loved the idea of a "Blessingway" necklace, but  the idea of anything around my neck in labor irritated me. Such lovely beads they all brought. I know who brought each and every single bead. They fit the women who chose them so well. I want to list them all, but there are so many and such deep personal reasons for each bead. This is truly a treasure of love.
As a parting gift to my friends, they all received a small lemon verbena soap in the shape of a bumblebee. These smell so heavenly that Panda actually tried to take a bite out of one. It was a BEAUTIFUL day. I could not have dreamed up  a more perfect way to help celebrate this new chapter in our lives. There was one last beautiful symbol the day brought to us...
Flitting in and out  of the overabundance of blooming flowers the spirit of my Mother came for a special visit on the backs of Monarch Butterflies. She so loved Monarchs and was deeply involved with their conservation. They have become a symbol of her for my sisters and I. The Monarchs have been strangely absent this summer. How beautiful and appropriate for them to show up on this most special day.  A 'Mother's Blessing' indeed. One came to rest beside me during the ceremony. I'm sure I felt my mother's hands on my shoulders as it flitted away. She knew we were trying for another child and was so excited. I wish she could have lived to meet Badger. It has been very difficult going through this pregnancy without her; however, I know she walks with me still.
Be well, and Shine On.

9 comments:

  1. It was absolutely beautiful. How special, to look over and see you, just beaming as you basked in the warm, dreamy summer heat with your rare contented smile.

    Thanks ever so much for inviting me! This was a white-stone day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously Mouse, I wouldn't have dreamed of not inviting you. Do I really smile so little, or is it more the relaxing bit? It was a white stone day indeed.

      Delete
    2. It was the relaxing. You smile, but you're rarely relaxed.

      Delete
  2. Oh my friend, this sounds just wonderful. I love Mother's Blessings, they just seem to wrap the mama to be in so much love. I am so happy the weather held for you, and that you felt the love and strength of these wonderful women, and your own mama.

    Continuing to keep you in my thoughts and prayers as you move through your pregnancy. Sending much love and big hugs. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kim, I truly wish we lived closer. Love and prayers are much appreciated. Shine on.

      Delete
  3. Sounds so nice--so happy for you. Lots of love and prayers for your birth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mia, sorry I've been away so long. Popping over to visit your blog now.

      Delete
  4. I'm sorry I was so late getting to this post. I know we had talked about it in email, but the pictures really brought this special day to life. How amazingly wonderful that the sun was shining and that you could be surrounded with all this love.

    Thinking of you always, xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Yanic, no worries. I'm not going anywhere anytime soon ;)
      Have a beautiful weekend.

      Delete