Sunday, July 17, 2011

Natural Waldorf Math Gnomes

I love Math Gnomes. The first set I made over a decade ago for my nephew. They were finger puppet math gnomes made of felt and wool roving. I looked high and low for a photo but could not find one of them. I have been wanting to try staining with natural dyes as an alternative to paint, but I found it to be a bit intimidating. A couple of days ago I read a post by BendingBirches; she dyed play silks with turmeric and I was encouraged to take this first step. Please stop by her blog. She has such a sweet and gentle spirit that shows in her writing and in the beauty and warmth of her photos. Her blog is both peaceful and inspiring.
Staining the wood with Turmeric
Out of the Vat and Drying. I am so pleased with the colors.
Here are my old painted gnomes and my new stained gnomes; finished with natural non toxic oils. Their symbols have been burned on with a wood burner. Bear and I are pleased beyond belief with them and can't wait to make more. Using natural and non toxic stains as an alternative to paint can be rewarding. If you want to start small, try dyeing eggs, but most importantly Have fun!

2 comments:

  1. They are so lovely, you are very arty and crafty, many thanks for your comments on my blog, cheers Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marie, Thank you. I am fond of your blog. You are the arty and crafty one :)I wish I could needlefelt like you. Take care.

    ReplyDelete