Tuesday, September 27, 2016

Squirrel Week

Last week I scrapped our plans for a "Runaway Bunny" week in favor of a squirrel themed week. Panda has been loving watching the squirrels scurrying around outside. This was the perfect opportunity to follow his interest.
Our sensory bin was made up of many different types of acorns. Panda liked pretending to feed the figurines the acorns and picking the acorns up with the tongs. Badger liked the sound they made as he pushed his hands back and forth through the nuts, and the sound they made as they hit the tub when he dropped them.
We did simple counting and number recognition exercises.. He loves counting, but I'm not sure if the number recognition part is sinking in yet. Our letter recognition was mainly done on the tablet. There was a small break through last week. Panda brought the tablet up to me and actually requested, "A, B,C,E Please". So something is sinking in.
I found this game at a thrift store over the summer. Panda and I take turns matching colors and picking acorns up with the squirrel shaped tongs.
We welcomed the first day of Autumn with a nature walk to collect leaves, which we later used to make leaf rubbings.
I found free Autumn themed dot art pintables on "This" blog. Our Dot markers kept splattering, so we opted for some paint, and a pom pom on a clothes pin for a brush.
The last thing on our list that we were able to complete was a nature study. One of our neighbors has a chestnut tree. The chestnuts were Panda's favorite treasure in the stash. He enjoyed the feel of the shelled chestnuts and experimented with sizes by checking to see if he could fit different nuts back inside the different shells. The cylinders in the picture have lenses for viewing. Some of them are magnifying and some have different color lenses. Last week was a bit rocky due to sickness, baking madness, and graduations, so much of this theme will be carried on throughout this week. This will also let me finish up a few things we weren't able to complete.
Thanks for stopping by.
~Shine on~

5 comments:

  1. I love the squirrel theme!!!

    Thanks ever do much for the cookies and hay bales. The party wouldn't have been the same without them! Big cousins loved seeing all of their little cousins at the same time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my pleasure. Everything was so lovely. Thanks for the invite and congrats to your TWO grads!!!

      Delete
  2. The theme is awesome (although I can't wait to see your Rnaway Bunny theme, another favorite here) and I still can't believe all the cool stuff you find at Thrift stores around your parts! I'm gonna have to start expanding my search.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might be a while before we do that week. I have all our weeks planned out till December. I might wait till next spring. Rabbits and spring go together so well and the soft colors of the book would blend with the season.. hmmm. I will have to think about this one...

      Delete
  3. This article is unique and interesting. thanks for your share. I have been meaning to write something like this on my website and you have given me an idea. shoes for walking on cement & shoes for lower back pain

    ReplyDelete