Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Saint Patrick's Day

Happy Saint Patrick's Day! Tomorrow is one of my favorite holidays, and while we've been busy I couldn't let it slip away without some fun activities. We've had three sensory bins these past two weeks. This one is split peas and a few peg dolls. It was also Panda's favorite tray.
Uncooked oatmeal, green sugar granules, with shamrock confetti pieces. Panda got a kick out of hunting and digging for the shamrocks.
Green mashed potatoes from dollar store instant potato flakes. I'm positive that this isn't food, but it was a lot of fun to play with.
Our book basket this month.
We tried making cork shamrock stamps, but this activity was frustrating for both of us. The stamps kept shifting so we had to give it up.
and instead we made leprechaun coins from bottle caps. This was an exercise in following directions and it worked out pretty well. First he had to dip them in the glue, then the glitter, and then put them on the sheet to dry..
 
 We counted  green coins and put them into our pot of gold (tea light holder).
 
 and had yummy treats 
 Lots of yummy treats... I will have to post this recipe later. I finally invented a good cookie cutter cookie that is safe for Panda (egg, dairy, and Gluten free).
 Even our mystery jar got into the holiday spirit. This is a newer therapy tool we have been using. Panda can't unscrew this lid on his own, so in order to get one of the objects out to play with, he has to say "open" and what object he wants. It has been a wonderful tool to help draw more words out of him. I'm sorry I've been away so much. Therapy has taken over our lives. I'm not sure when things will calm down, but it sure felt good to sneak away this morning
. Take care, happy Saint Patrick's day, and shine on!

8 comments:

  1. So lovely to see you here my friend. Happy St. Patrick's Day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I miss everyone. Hope you had a beautiful Saint Patrick's day.

      Delete
  2. Happy Saint Patrick's Day! I love the green peas best too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loving the white beans you gave us for this week. Thanks again.

      Delete
  3. Great activities once again! I keep saving your posts, hoping that soon, Little Man will want to sit down long enough to try one of them. The sensory bins have been a nightmare because all he does is spill them over, but we are working on the spilling in therapy. :-)

    Could you email me all those lovely books? It would be nice to have recommendation for Irish story books for the kiddos next year. We want to start exploring what it means for them to be part Irish more...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll email them as soon as I can ( hopefully later today). Panda loves to dump and throw things as well. We always put a sheet down under his bin when he's playing with it. Some of his earlier bins had larger things in them like practice golf balls, scoops for scooping them up and buckets for dumping them into and out of. The bins were also a much larger, almost small kiddie pools. Good luck, everyone gets where they're going at their own pace.

      Delete
  4. Hello, there! So sorry I haven't been around in forever and I can't believe how your boys have changed. I hope all is going well for you--sounds like there have been some challenges, but you are shining so well through them all, it seems. I miss visiting back and forth with you and pray you are all well. Keep in touch1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mia, it's not just you, I've been absent as well. I'm sorry I missed out on so much. Your kids have grown so much. I'll try to be better about visiting. Life can be hectic. Shine.

      Delete