Monday, December 15, 2014

Penguin Pattern

I wanted to make Panda a wintry penguin themed sensory tray for this week, but I needed Penguins. I couldn't find a pattern I liked on Pinterest. It was about 3am and I could not sleep,  so I made this pattern and am sharing it with you. Need a quick last minute stocking stuffer idea? This would work well ; )
This pattern is a gift for your own personal use. Please don't use this and items made from it for profit. 
Copy this onto your computer and enlarge it to be as big (or small) as you like. I thought it might be fun to later make some larger penguins out of fleece. They would also be adorable with little red scarves. If you make a larger penguin, you might want to double up the wings to make them thicker and more sturdy.
 
For these penguins I used felt. They stand approximately 2 1/2 inches tall.
Sew the wings on first. I used a pattern piece so you could see wing placement in this picture. They are sewn just at the top hump so the wings can stick out a bit, but they might be cute completely sewn down as well.
 
 Sew from the tip of the beak, around the back of the head and down to the bottom. I used a whip stitch and black thread. Leave the front open. 
 Next sew in the chest piece. I used white thread, and the whip stitch again, but a blanket stitch might look nicer on this part. This is a good time to stuff the penguin. I used wool and weighted it down with some beads so it would stand nicely. Rice, gravel, plastic pellets, washers, also work.. you get the idea. 
 Sew the bottom piece and feet on. 
 
And you are done! Wasn't that fast? I made a small army of penguins in one hour. 
Enjoy, and Shine on!


5 comments:

  1. I love your penguins, and you are so sweet to share the pattern :)

    Hope you are having a lovely day my friend. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and you are welcome. Snow storm on the way (HOORAY! I miss the snow) so we are snuggling down with cups of tea in hand. Have a blessed day Kim.

      Delete
  2. How did you make the beak?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for this pattern. Much appreciated.

    ReplyDelete