Thursday, December 11, 2014

DIY Light Box

Light and color are great educational tools. I've been wanting to set up a light box for Panda, so I made one. This light box is made with items I had on hand around the house. We will be using it a lot in the next few weeks, so please check back later with more ideas on how to use a light box.
I want a larger box one day, but for now this will do. This box is slightly larger than a shoe box.
I cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom and lined the sides with tinfoil (shiny side in) to help reflect light.
The box is filled with "Christmas" lights I've been storing since our wedding. They have not been just sitting all these years. They have seen a lot of use at several weddings and parties since we've been married. Bear got a laugh this morning when he saw that they would be used for yet another project. They were wrapped in tulle so I just left it on to help diffuse the light., but it's not necessary.
I covered the lights with more tinfoil to help block light on the sides. Then I put the lid on and flipped the box over. I didn't need to cut a notch because the lid was loose, but a tighter lid might need a notch or hole cut into it so as not to cut the cord. 
Here it is!
Then I made 6 rainbow colored jars of water with food coloring, and set them out as an invitation to play for Panda.. Now I'm just waiting for him to wake up and then the fun will begin : )
Thanks for visiting and Shine on!
UPDATE:
Well, He LOVED it! He woke up, saw the glowing light and made a Beeline to the light box. He loved the colored glowing water sloshing around and the tiny bubbles. Panda played for a good 20 minutes putting the jars on the light box and taking them back off again. And for an almost 20 month old tot, that's not bad! : )

5 comments:

  1. So much fun... it,s actually part of our holiday projects to create a light table with the extra Xmas lights we have. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, this went over real well this morning. I absolutely recommend it. Have fun with your light box. I have some fun ideas for what we are going to do with ours.. Shhh, spilling the beans a little early here, but how about making foot prints with animal figures through "snow" (flour)? Take care.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. He LOVED it! Loved, loved, loved, it. I knew he would like it, but wow. He really responded well. Good thing because he's getting light blocks for Christmas this year. Shhh, don't tell ;)

      Delete
  3. I LOVE this!

    If he loved the bubbles... what might happen if you add a few tablespoons of oil to the water? Would that give them a funky "lava lamp" look?!?

    Seriously, can't wait to hear how the footprints turn out!!! *grins*

    ReplyDelete